Thursday, January 19, 2012

Project 303 - a home improvement project

Hubby is on his way to work and I'll be left all alone for the night again. I don't really like that he's leaving when I'm just coming home from work, but that's just the way it is... at least for now.

So anyhoo, I am really psyched about this home improvement project of mine. Work is already on its way, starting off with these designs from an interior designer friend of mine named Mike. It pays to have talented friends who'll do things for free. Haha! I also work with Mike for TV commercials and TV shows so there is no doubt about his taste level and excellent quality of work. 

The main goal is how to transform our studio-type unit into one functional space by dividing it into specific areas. The dilemma in a studio unit is really how to avoid making the whole house your bedroom, when really, the whole house is your bedroom! You know what I'm saying?

This is how our little abode will be spruced up:

Top shot of layout
Bedroom
So Mike's plan is to put a wall around the bed and transform this into a 1-bedroom. It's going to be a tight squeeze but I see the potential in that it keeps away the kitchen fumes from sticking to the beddings and allows an area (finally!) for receiving guests!

Living room
I want to make this living room ultra-comfy by adding pillows that you can just plop on the floor for extra seating and a couch for watching TV. I have never had a couch in all my 3 years in this house so this is really something that I can't wait to have. I am on a very limited budget so the hunt for  the perfect couch that's up to my aesthetics and sensibilities still continues. This will also be the area for salah (prayer) so the furniture must be lightweight and easy to move around.


Another problematic area in our home is the lack of storage space. Mike solves that by adding a shelving unit to keep all our belongings like clothes, shoes, and other items neatly concealed by a curtain.   That way, we can hide unwanted things lying around when unexpected guests arrive, and they can't see all the clutter behind it. 

One more thing that I'm excited about is having my own desk! At present, there's a wooden vanity dresser right at the same spot, but with some DIY magic, I shall transform it into something pretty and modern and use it as my study/work table. Some inspirations I will take from colormecarla and centsationalgirl.

I dream about the finished product day and night. Oh, if only we can start tomorrow...




No comments:

Post a Comment