Saturday, October 1, 2011

Ramadhan 2011 and Eid ul Fitr

I haven't updated this blog since my last post in August due to so many things going on. First, there's the experience of my first Ramdadhan and Eid-ul Fitr, then there's the indefinite closing down of our food stall, Baba Rashid's Sate-han, my recent work re-assignment to another department, and most importantly, me becoming a full time Hijabi. So many things happening in a month put blogging in my least priority.

But Alhamdulillah, everything comes to pass and so with this free time, I'd like to tell you about my Ramadhan experience and some new things I discovered about our deen (religion).

1) Prayer is an essential part of every Muslim's life, but during Ramadhan especially the last 10 days, prayers are more frequent and longer. The usual 10-minute prayer can go for several hours and this is a true test of patience, concentration, devotion and faith, especially for first-timers like me, and even long-time Muslims.

2) Iftar, or breaking of the fast, is observed by all Muslims at the same time (depends on your time zone). The masjid is bustling with so much activity this whole month. All these in a tiny nook in the Greenhills Shopping Area.
Donner/Shawarma seller

Pater, pansit and other Halal Iftar delights

Grilled items on show

A shy sister selling sweets 

Little brother just can't wait 'til Maghrib

Maranao food at Southern Halal Deli

Noralyn and her Iftar meal of rice and squid cooked in its own ink

Cute Nadia ready to munch on Ikhlas dates from Saudi Arabia

the pre-Iftar frenzy

3) Whoever said that fasting during Ramadhan will make you lose weight is definitely wrong! I have never eaten so much in my life than this time. You could say that my appetite doubled and with so much food around, it's impossible to resist.

4) Eid ul Fitr is a grand celebration for all Muslims. It's a special time where we gather and remember the  Holy Month. This year, my husband and I had our "little" friends over in the afternoon for a swimming party. Then in the evening, he whipped up a special Malay dinner for everybody.
Our Little friends - Noralyn, Jamila, Shariff, Nadia & Abdullah
we all look like kids, don't we?


Abdullah holding a keris (with adult supervision)
my sisters - Ana, Jannah, Asiah, Marwah, Mashel & Jam

My suami with bros Khalid and Yahya
Our Eid get-up - Baju melayu for Rashid and Baju Kebaya for moi

1 comment:

  1. Wait I have a question? Where are you from like interms of background? And did your whole family convert to Islam? just wondering

    ReplyDelete