Saturday, October 8, 2011

I just turned one!

Yes, I just turned 1! Last October 3, 2010,  I accepted Islam and declared my belief in the One True God, Allah SWT. I still have vivid memories of that very special day, and the events that led up to it. The internal struggle, the uncertainty, the fear, the denial, and most importantly, the acceptance of the truth - that no matter how I evade it, I still cannot deny that Islam is the Truth and this is the Right religion of mankind.

Islam was revealed to me in bits and pieces. Maybe Allah knew that I wouldn't able to absorb everything in one sitting. But as my knowledge of it grew, the more that my faith was tried. The more I knew, the more I pulled back, for fear of the unknown. Why Islam? What happens when I become a Muslim? What will people say when I become one? I was having an internal tug-of-war, and the push and pull was becoming hard to handle. As the days passed, my fear of being unwanted by society and family turned to fear of Allah. I was developing taqwa because I was strengthening my iman. If there's anything to be feared, it is Allah. If there is anybody to please, it is Allah. This urged me to proceed without uncertainty or fear.

For starters, I wanted a Muslim community to turn to. I wasn't going to do this alone and I know that I had to seek the guidance of other Muslims. So what started out with a single Muslim friend, I now have the most loving husband in the world plus a fine collection of brothers and sisters who are always pleased to teach me more about Islam. These are a good mix of born Muslims and reverts, or balik Islam as we call it. It's amazing how Allah put us all together to learn from each other and understand the ways of our deen.

Truly, and without a doubt, Allah is the best of planners...



2:26










Surah Al-Baqarah (2:26)

"Indeed, Allah is not timid to present an example - that of a mosquito or what is smaller than it. And those who have believed know that it is the truth from their Lord. But as for those who disbelieve, they say, "What did Allah intend by this as an example?" He misleads many thereby and guides many thereby. And He misleads not except the defiantly disobedient..."


Here are some memorable photos during my shahada last year:


All smiles




Another sister does her shahada using the same muqna I used on me

Life throws us many surprises, and whether we like it or not, we are not in total control of our lives. If we all realize this, then I know that every single one of us will be in submission to God and we will all be Muslims, insha Allah.

2 comments:

  1. Assalamualaykum! Congratulations on becoming a Muslim. May He continue to bless and guide you inshaAllah.

    I love attending shahadah ceremonies and welcoming new sisters into the community. They remind us born-Muslims to be more appreciative of Islam and that the beauty of Islam is that it unites people from all cultures, alhamdulillah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Masha Allah, I am so happy to receive this comment from you Shahirah Elaiza! I have been an avid reader of your blog, and i truly admire the way you uphold Islam in your life without sacrificing being "cool." Keep it up and continue to inspire others... May Allah bless you more and keep this Ummah stronger, insha Allah...

    ReplyDelete