Monday, October 3, 2011

Quiapo and Chinatown food trips

Manila is a hodgepodge of people from different cultures, backgrounds and social classes. Right smack in the heart of the city, remnants of the colonial past are still ever present in the city's buildings and architectural structures. While some are completely run down like those beautiful Spanish houses in Intramuros, others still serve its purpose like the Manila City Hall. However, rich as the city is in history and interesting sights, I was never fond of visiting Manila due to the traffic and some unnavigable roads. But recently, I've been frequenting Manila, more particularly the Muslim area of Quiapo, Manila.

The first time I was there was last year, few months after I became Muslim. I needed a wardrobe change and what better way than to start shopping in the streets of Quiapo. I was turned off at first because the area is not exactly a shopper's paradise in that it didn't have air-conditioning, clean walkways, or fitting rooms... disorganized fashion is what it is, because Alhamdullilah, despite all the clutter and untidiness, I was able to  buy some lovely hijabs, tunics, malongs, and muqnas. 

Now, this blog is looking more like a food blog because I am about to share a fantastic Halal restaurant that I discovered in that area. It's called Moud Halal Chicken, and they serve an array of Halal dishes, but the topper is the roast chicken served with Kabsa rice. Yum-oh! Had a superb lunch! This is by far, the best roast chicken I've tasted, with it's well-seasoned crust and juicy meat, and best of all, it's Halal! Alhamdulillah for great food like this :) It's very near the mosque by the way. Just ask for directions from the people around, in case you get lost or can't find it. 

Moud Halal Chicken seasoned to perfection

for sidings, though it didn't go well with the main dish, was laing or gabi leaves with coconut milk

The Masjid Ad Dahab in Quiapo, Manila

So after lunch, didn't plan on going elsewhere, but because I made a wrong turn in Taft Avenue, we ended up in Chinatown. The weather was pretty bad and had been raining for days, but it didn't stop me and my husband from exploring Chinatown. We let spontaneity kick in and so we ended up walking the alleys of Chinatown, and took home some very interesting finds.

I love  the look on Rashid's face when it lights up with excitement when he discovers new things, especially those related to food. So there he was, overtaken with joy when we got to Eng Bee Tin. It's a pioneer in the bakery scene in Chinatown and known for their unique take on Hopia. I remember this place as a kid, and they just keep adding more and more products throughout the years. Now they've got more than the usual Hopia Ube or Hopia Mongo. Here, you'll also find novel additions like Mochipia or Hopia with mochi, and Hopia with Salted egg. Oh, so many Hopias with so little time (and money). So we just left off with Hopia Mongo and Ube Mochi Balls, which is just heavenly, I swear!!!

Hopia-land

Hopia with Mochi - will come back for yah



heaven in a bite - soft, chewy and sweet

Mr. Ube. He's a person now?


some Chinese noodles

Not in Eng Bee Tin but bought it because Sate King wanted to taste this version of dried fish satay. Not my type.


I love days like this! Hope I can do this more often. We will plan out our next adventure, insha Allah, on a good sunny day. So, before I hit the sack, let me leave you with this video of the Ed and Moe tandem, about Ramadhan coz it's been cracking us up like crazy! This bunch is funny, but the Arab dude is funnier (and there's a close resemblance between him and Rashid... LOL) Goodnight evary-body (in Arab accent)...




2 comments:

  1. thank you for posting. Im interested to study and learn Arabic, I know there's a good Arabic class in Quiapo, preferably taught by a fluent Arabic-speaking teacher, who is willing to take in a very interested and willing-to-learn Christian. Can you please help me? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jo! The best one to approach would be the information center in the Quiapo Golden Mosque. They may be able to help you with this. Hope you find what you're looking for :)

    ReplyDelete